Could Where You Live Impact Your Allergies?
Millions of Americans suffer from spring and fall allergies every year. Many haven’t considered the area they live in and how it contributes to their allergy symptoms. The AAFA’s yearly Allergy Capitals™ report identifies which cities are the most challenging to live in with seasonal allergies.
The report considers these factors:
- Spring pollen scores
- Fall pollen scores
- Over-the-counter medicine use
- Availability of board-certified allergists/immunologists
Top 10 most challenging places to live with environmental allergies
- Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Wichita, Kansas
- McAllen, Texas
- Richmond, Virginia
- San Antonio, Texas
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Hartford, Connecticut
- Buffalo, New York
- New Haven, Connecticut
- Albany, New York
Top 10 least challenging places to live with environmental allergies
- Seattle, Washington
- Durham, North Carolina
- San Francisco, California
- San Jose, California
- Portland, Oregon
- Sacramento, California
- Denver, Colorado
- Provo, Utah
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Fresno, California
How to find relief from seasonal allergies
- Short-term relief may be an option with over-the-counter nasal sprays and antihistamines
- Check pollen forecast daily to plan outdoor activities
- Wear protective gear such as sunglasses or a face mask when outdoors
- Keep windows closed to keep pollen out of your home
- Use central air, and a dehumidifier to reduce mold growth in your home
- Wash up! Washing your hands and face will help clean any pollen you may have gathered from outside
- Allergy immunotherapy such as allergy drops
Allergies in cities
Big cities usually don’t favor those with allergies. Many people who live in larger cities are exposed to much higher levels of pollutants and chemicals, additionally, the lack of plants doesn’t allow for air to be filtered. Fresh air is crucial to keeping allergy symptoms at bay.
Environmental allergies aren’t something you have to live with. It’s possible to live free of allergy symptoms regardless of where you live, allowing you to enjoy life.
The La Crosse Method™ Protocol for personalized allergy drop treatment makes that possible for patients around the country, with a wide variety of allergies, and diverse lifestyles. Allergy drop treatment gradually helps your body build tolerance to the substances that cause your allergies by delivering a safe, but gradually increasing dose of what causes your symptoms. For some, this can be a game changer because left untreated, allergies often develop into other conditions including asthma, eczema, and other chronic issues.
Ready to take the leap and start treating the cause and changing the disease?
Start by finding a provider near you that is trained in using allergy drop treatment — personalized just for you — following the La Crosse Method Protocol.