Allergy Choices Testimonial

Allergychoices has provided a reasonable and logical protocol for the safe and effective management of allergic patients on sublingual immunotherapy. — Allergy provider

Become a Provider »

Emerging precision allergy drop immunotherapy gives providers and patients a customized option

June 2016

ONALASKA, WI — Today, 50-60 million Americans suffer from allergies, yet only an estimated 5% receives treatment that can change the underlying disease. The remaining 95% either suffer, take medication to temporarily reduce symptoms, or are forced to avoid substances triggering allergic disease. But thanks to an emerging type of immunotherapy, more patients have an opportunity to change the course of their disease long term. That treatment, known as sublingual immunotherapy or allergy drops, is the focus of a unique training course offered to allergy providers around the country.

Advancing Allergy Treatment through Sublingual Immunotherapy will be offered through Allergychoices, Inc., in its Onalaska, Wisconsin, headquarters on Oct. 14 and 15, 2016. The program provides a solid background on research, science, and the practical application of diagnosing and treating patients with precision sublingual immunotherapy based on the patient’s individual allergic fingerprint. This educational program is led by authors of the La Crosse Method™ Protocol from Allergy Associates of La Crosse, a sole sublingual immunotherapy practice with more than 45 years of experience helping allergic patients using the widely-recognized Protocol.

The program helps practices integrate patient diagnostics and customized treatment to address a wide array of environmental and food allergies through allergy drops.

Allergy drops use the same liquid antigen extracts as allergy shots, but the extracts are delivered via drops placed under the tongue. Immunotherapy is the only treatment that actually treats the root cause of allergic disease, rather than masking the symptoms. Though commonly used in Europe, allergy drops have gained attention in the U.S. thanks, in part, to La Crosse-area providers who are recognized as the pioneers in developing the most widely published protocol for sublingual allergy treatment in the U.S. A number of European studies, as well as recent U.S. studies, have validated the sublingual route of treatment to be safe and effective.

“There are a number of things about sublingual immunotherapy that are exciting,” says Dr. Mary Morris from Allergy Associates of La Crosse. “First, it has been proven safe for a large population of patients with a broad range of allergies. For those who haven’t been candidates for injection immunotherapy—especially young children and asthmatics, as well as those who can’t tolerate shots—it offers hope.  Second, research shows what our clinical experience has told us for years—allergy drops provide an effective way of treating a number of allergies that have been thought untreatable, including food allergies. Currently, the only accepted treatment option is avoidance.”

Because sublingual immunotherapy can be self-administered anywhere, it is convenient for allergy sufferers. It could also dramatically impact the total cost of allergic disease in the U.S. Patient studies show treatment can decrease the need for medications long-term, impact the further development of allergies and other chronic conditions including asthma, decrease clinic visits and hospitalizations, reduce absenteeism at work and school, and have an impact on presenteeism—reduced productivity allergy sufferers experience on the job and at school—which has been identified as a leading cost.

“We’re here to share what we’ve learned with other physicians so access to customized sublingual immunotherapy no longer requires patients to travel across the country for help,” adds Morris. To date hundreds of allergists and their medical staff have come to La Crosse. Hundreds of practices around the U.S. use the La Crosse Method Protocol and are offering the treatment in their clinics including private practices, university medical centers, and military providers who see the benefits for deployed troops.

For details about the conference or treatment, contact Anne Hendrickson at Allergychoices at (608) 791-5300 or ahendrickson@allergychoices.com, or for registration details visit allergychoices.com/ed-program.

# # #

About Allergychoices
Allergychoices, Inc. is a healthcare services company that provides tools that enable physicians to provide sublingual immunotherapy and expands patient access to resources for disease modifying treatment using allergy drops. These practices base their treatment on the La Crosse Method™ Practice Protocol developed by our founder, Dr. David Morris, and his physician partners at Allergy Associates of La Crosse in Wisconsin. Headquartered in Onalaska, WI, the company was founded in 2000 by Dr. David Morris, a pioneer and international leader in sublingual immunotherapy.